Monday, April 6, 2015

Social Media

Recently at school we had an incident involving social media that I'm sure most if not everyone is well aware of. We spent a whole class period discussing it and knowing how quickly word travels in the high school world you probably heard about it even if you weren't in class that day. This post is not meant to bring up that particular situation or any individual problem that anyone has had with posting things on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, or Instagram. It's just meant to warn you that what you post on the internet really does matter and can follow you down the road. Now I know I probably sound like some parent lecturing their kids about the dangers of the internet and all the negatives that can come from it, but they really do speak the truth. For me personally I've never had any issues with things I have posted and I truthfully credit that to my Grandma. For two years of my early life I lived on my grandparents farm sleeping on a cot in a cramped bedroom but I know for a fact that I learned the most in my life by far during those two years. Everyday my grandma was lecturing me over something different whether it was "Don't get to close to the microwave; they cause cancer! Don't overuse the word 'like' it makes you look less intelligent!" or "Be very careful if you ever get a Facebook, kids get in a lot of trouble with them!" Being young some days I didn't want to hear what she was lecturing me about. But everything always stuck with me. That's why to this day I keep all of my social media accounts on private and still avoid posting anything that can be taken in any negative way. I recently deleted my Facebook, but before I did I got on one last time and scrolled through all of the posts of my 'friends' that I had and actually got a great kick out of it. I honestly could not believe the audacity some people had with what they posted. Talking about all of the drugs, drinking, and sexual activity they partake in just made me sit back and laugh. While kids in our age group are out there posting stuff like that on their unprivate social media accounts you and me can really look forward to our future job interviews feeling like a million bucks while our future employer is scowering through posts, pictures, and tags finding nothing but positive things. (424)

No comments:

Post a Comment